Who We Are
Our Mission is...To deliver excellence in education through an unwavering commitment to the whole child.
To fulfill our Mission...We are committed to creating an environment for our children that provides a strong academic foundation, instills a love of learning, and prepares them for a changing world.
Fundamental to our Mission...Is our commitment to an active partnership among students, educators, families and the broader community; a high-performing faculty and staff who foster individual student growth; continuous assessment and improvement of our objectives, programs and services; and fiscal responsibility and the effective management of resources.
Our students are high achievers, with 94 percent of all students meeting or exceeding the Illinois Learning Standards in reading, and 97 percent in math. District 90 schools have won numerous Academic Excellence Awards, recognizing superior academic achievement sustained over time.
All teachers in the District are ranked “highly qualified” by the Illinois Department of Education. The average teaching experience of the District’s full-time teachers is 13 years, with 86 percent holding master’s degrees.
District 90 enjoys a high level of support from the community, which has allocated significant resources to maintain excellent staff, facilities and programs. The District’s per-pupil operating expenditure is $12,329, with the majority of the budget going directly toward instructional expenses.
In addition to offering an engaging, well-rounded curriculum, our schools also offer programs for academically talented students and students with special needs. District 90 schools are well known for exceptional art and music programs, and we offer Spanish, French and Italian. We have a popular and well-attended summer school program as well.
District 90 was founded in 1850, with 14 students attending classes in a 12-foot-square shed at the corner of Lake Street and Lathrop Avenue. It was replaced by a red frame schoolhouse the following year, which was replaced in 1859 by the Harlem School, the historic brick building that now serves as the District headquarters at the corner of Lake Street and Park Avenue. At the time, Harlem School was the largest school building between Chicago and Elgin, and was renowned for amenities that included its own well water and individual room stoves for heat.
By 1889, the number of students had grown to nearly 300, warranting the addition of a second building on the same property. Called the Central School, it became today’s Lincoln Elementary School.
When the population of River Forest grew to more than 1,000 in 1894, the town chose its first school board. Roosevelt School opened in 1924, serving grades K-5 and 8; in 1953 it became a junior high and in 1979 a 5th- through 8th-grade middle school, which it remains today. Willard Elementary School was built in 1928, to accommodate the growing number of families settling in the north part of town.
River Forest Today
The Village of River Forest is in west central Cook County, Illinois, approximately 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Incorporated in 1880, the Village of River Forest today has a population of around 11,600 and is a mature, largely single-family residential community. The Village of Oak Park borders the River Forest to the east, and students from the two villages attend Oak Park-River Forest High School, located in Oak Park. River Forest is home to two private institutions of higher learning, Concordia University and Dominican University. Some 25 parks and recreational facilities and 54 churches and synagogues serve the Oak Park-River Forest community.